Thursday, December 2, 2004

Quotation of the day for December 2, 2004

Last Thursday morning, Natalia Dimitruk, an interpreter for the
deaf on the Ukraine's official state UT-1 television, disregarded
the anchor's report on Prime Minister Viktor F. Yanukovich's
"victory" and, in her small inset on the screen, began to sign
something else altogether.

"The results announced by the Central Electoral Commission are
rigged," she said in the sign language used in the former Soviet
states. "Do not believe them."

She went on to declare that Viktor A. Yushchenko, the opposition
leader, was the country's new president. "I am very disappointed
by the fact that I had to interpret lies," she went on. "I will
not do it any more. I do not know if you will see me again."

- from a New York Times (on-line) article by Steven Lee Meyers.

[www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/international/29media.ready.html]

Submitted by: Nick Puketza
Nov. 29, 2004