Saturday, February 22, 2014

Quotation of the day for February 22, 2014

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for February 22, 2014



"I grew up in Carmel, smack in the middle of the new code region; my first cell phone number-the only cell phone number I have ever had-bears that 831 preface. I have held on to those three digits through happily-multiple changes of location (New Jersey, New York, Boston, Washington) and through unhappily-multiple losses of handset. The powers that be-hardware salespeople, cell service representatives-have, at one time or another, tried to force me into a 609 and a 917 and a 617; each time, I have resisted. Because I am not, fundamentally, a 609 or a 917 or a 617. I am not even, my current residence notwithstanding, a 202. I am an 831, wherever I may be in body, and will remain an 831 until they pry those three otherwise totally meaningless digits out of my cold, dead iPhone."

- Megan Garber, writing about telephone area codes.

[http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/our-numbered-days-the-evolution-of-the-area-code/283803/]

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Feb. 18, 2014

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
area codes
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
area codes
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store