Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Quotation of the day for September 13, 2016

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for September 13, 2016



"I have had the privilege to live in France with my family for more than six years. The days of beans and rice are far behind. Yet the scars of Guantanamo are never far from view. I wonder, at times, whether I will ever be free of the sense of pain and loss I feel. I also wonder what scars burden the soldiers who were ordered to mistreat us, now that they know it was in error, and I hope they are cared for and given the opportunity to learn from those mistakes. I am struck by the angry political rhetoric that continues to surround Guantanamo in the United States, and I truly hope that America, like me, will someday have the chance to put Guantanamo into its past and to resume a constructive existence."

- Lakhdar Boumediene, an Algerian who was held for over seven years at an American prison camp in Guantanamo. He was released when a review showed there had been no credible evidence of any wrongdoing on his part. Quoted in Astro Noise: A Survival Guide.

Submitted by: Mike Krawchuk
Sep. 12, 2016

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Lakhdar Boumediene
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Lakhdar Boumediene
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store