Sunday, July 18, 2010

Quotation of the day for July 18, 2010

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for July 18, 2010



Not long ago I was offered work as a quality-control expert with an American company in China I'd never heard of. No experience necessary--which was good, because I had none. I'd be paid $1,000 for a week, put up in a fancy hotel, and wined and dined in Dongying, an industrial city in Shandong province I'd also never heard of. The only requirements were a fair complexion and a suit.

"I call these things `White Guy in a Tie' events," a Canadian friend of a friend named Jake told me during the recruitment pitch he gave me in Beijing, where I live. "Basically, you put on a suit, shake some hands, and make some money. We'll be in `quality control,' but nobody's gonna be doing any quality control. You in?"

- Mitch Moxley, Rent a White Guy: Confessions of a fake businessman from Beijing.

[http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/rent-a-white-guy/8119/]

Submitted by: Lynn Kisilenko
Jul. 7, 2010

Shopping through our Amazon links supports Quotation Of The Day. Find
Beijing businessman
at Amazon.ca.

Visit our Amazon.ca store
Find
Beijing businessman
at Amazon.com.

Visit our Amazon.com store