Sunday, August 8, 2010

Quotation of the day for August 8, 2010

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for August 8, 2010



"In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, -- no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, -- my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, -- all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God. The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintances, -- master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat as beautiful as his own nature."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson, from Nature (1836).

Submitted by: Mike Krawchuk
Aug. 4, 2010

Shopping through our Amazon links supports Quotation Of The Day. Find
Ralph Waldo Emerson
at Amazon.ca.

Visit our Amazon.ca store
Find
Ralph Waldo Emerson
at Amazon.com.

Visit our Amazon.com store