Sunday, June 8, 2014

Quotation of the day for June 8, 2014

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for June 8, 2014



"I had looked forward to offering a fuller account in my trial than I had given previously to any journalist - any Glenn Greenwald or Brian Williams of my time - as to the considerations that led me to copy and distribute thousands of pages of top-secret documents. I had saved many details until I could present them on the stand, under oath, just as a young John Kerry had delivered his strongest lines in sworn testimony.

"But when I finally heard my lawyer ask the prearranged question in direct examination - Why did you copy the Pentagon Papers? - I was silenced before I could begin to answer. The government prosecutor objected - irrelevant - and the judge sustained. My lawyer, exasperated, said he "had never heard of a case where a defendant was not permitted to tell the jury why he did what he did." The judge responded: well, you're hearing one now.

"And so it has been with every subsequent whistleblower under indictment, and so it would be if Edward Snowden was on trial in an American courtroom now."

- Daniel Ellsberg, Pentagon Papers whistleblower, on why NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden could not receive a fair trial in the U.S.

[http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/30/daniel-ellsberg-snowden-fair-trial-kerry-espionage-act]

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Jun. 4, 2014

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Edward Snowden
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Edward Snowden
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store