Thursday, November 4, 2010

Quotation of the day for November 4, 2010

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for November 4, 2010



"This was not the time of child seats or swallowproof soda-can tabs. No safety seals secured Tylenol bottles or yogurt containers. Today it would be considered parental negligence, but in that first summer of boat ownership my mother would drive me down to the Grass Island Marina, seat belt-less, in her black secondhand luxury-edition Chrysler Cordoba and drop me off at my thirdhand boat. As I finished dumping my gear out of her trunk, she would light a Dunhill cigarette, cough heavily, and then, with a glance in her rearview, speed off into the childless afternoon ahead of her. So, at the age of thirteen, I learned how to navigate and fish on the sea by myself. It wasn't difficult--I'm sure most children, given the opportunity, could have figured it out. Once upon a time, being thirteen really did mean you were a man. But the feeling of steaming out into open water in pursuit of wild game, leaving the financial and physical constriction of mainland Connecticut behind, was exhilarating."

- Paul Greenberg, in his book Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food.

[http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781594202568,00.html]

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Oct. 22, 2010

Shopping through our Amazon links supports Quotation Of The Day. Find
Paul Greenberg
at Amazon.ca.

Visit our Amazon.ca store
Find
Paul Greenberg
at Amazon.com.

Visit our Amazon.com store