Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Quotation of the day for December 2, 2014

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for December 2, 2014



""Now, Charles," he says, looking amused, putting Cartier links into the cuffs of his beautiful hand-made shirt, "you could have forewarned me--you left me out of the act entirely! At least you could have let me cue in a few chords as you ran through that Nijinsky routine. I congratulate you on your performance. But why didn't you and Juan inform me about the adagio you planned so that we could score it? I must say I never saw a large man so agile--I never saw anybody make such tremendous leaps! The gambado over the piano carrying your bass was colossal. When you exited after that I thought, 'That man's really afraid of Juan's knife and at the speed he's going he's probably home in bed by now.' But no, back you came through the same door with your bass still intact. For a moment I was hopeful you'd decided to sit down and play but instead you slashed Juan's chair in two with a fire axe! Really, Charles, that's destructive. Everybody knows Juan has a knife but nobody ever took it seriously--he likes to pull it out and show it to people, you understand. So I'm afraid, Charles--I've never fired anybody--you'll have to quit my band. I don't need any new problems. Juan's an old problem, I can cope with that, but you seem to have a whole bag of new tricks. I must ask you to be kind enough to give me your notice, Mingus."

"The charming way he says it, it's like he's paying you a compliment. Feeling honored, you shake hands and resign."

- Charles Mingus, from his autobiography Beneath the Underdog.

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Nov. 26, 2014

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Charles Mingus
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Charles Mingus
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store