Saturday, July 25, 2015

Quotation of the day for July 25, 2015

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for July 25, 2015



"We had that song out and they really loved the video," Franti says over the phone from his home in San Francisco, recalling how U2 sought out his band to open dates on that tour. "They were using the video to start the Zoo TV show, playing it on the screens and then asked us to play with them. I remember the first couple of weeks of that tour because I knew their music but I didn't really know the guys in the band--I wasn't a super huge fan.

"After the first week, Bono comes up to me and he's like, 'Michael, can I have a quiet word with you?' and I go, 'What's up?' And he says, 'Well, there's just this one thing,' and I'm thinking, 'Man, we're going to get kicked off the tour.' And he goes, 'It's just that, my guitar player: his name is the Edge. Not, Ed.'

"For the first week, I was going 'Yo Ed, I like that hat! Yo Ed, nice solo on that song!'" Franti laughs. "I guess it was enough that the Edge had to go to Bono to say, 'Look man, you gotta get this guy to call me by my real name.'"

- Michael Franti, musician, on touring with U2, from an interview with Vish Khanna.

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Jul. 24, 2015

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Michael Franti
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Michael Franti
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store