Thursday, February 11, 2016

Quotation of the day for February 11, 2016

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for February 11, 2016



"I expected David Bowie's death to make me nostalgic, but not this way.

"Like many people, I spent the days after his passing relistening to Bowie records I hadn't played in years. One night, it felt time to revisit Low, his 1977 plunge into Berlin weirdness. I plugged in my swanky new wireless boombox, called up the album on a streaming service and, as I'd done numerous times before, prepared to be enveloped by sound. Instead, I was swallowed up in a digital nightmare. Whether it was the wireless connection or some other technical gremlin, it took what felt like an entire day at Coachella for the music to start up, and when it finally did, the connection cut in and out, the volume lurching from soft to loud each track.

"Finally, in frustration, I returned to a now-archaic ritual: I went to the shelves, pulled out my copy of Low on CD, slid it into the player and - boom! - listened to the album straight through, with zero issues and lusher sound. As it was playing, I couldn't help but wonder: When and why did the CD become public sonic enemy Number One, the most reviled audio format since quad? Why, again, are we abandoning these things?"

- David Browne, from his article In Defense of the CD.

[http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/in-defense-of-the-cd-20160204]

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Feb. 10, 2016

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
compact disc
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
compact disc
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store