Saturday, November 3, 2018

Quotation of the day for November 3, 2018

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for November 3, 2018



"If for some reason you were confined to a single adjective to describe Las Vegas, then you would have to settle for the following: un-Islamic. Las Vegas is tremendously un-Islamic. When, at the Sin City airport, I settled into one of the motorised fridges known hereabouts as taxis, I was asked if I wanted "some music". I said I didn't, knowing that I was going to get some music everywhere I went, whether I wanted some music or not. And that's the very least of it. The whoops from the craps tables (all yea and ow and YESSS), the variegated birdsong of mobile phones ("What's good, buddy?") and the madhouse nursery jingles of the slot machines, horribly prolonged and as pleasing to the ear as a defective car alarm, and then the cataract of coins into the acoustically enhanced money trays. And some music."

- Martin Amis, from his 2006 essay "Losing Las Vegas," about competing in the World Series of Poker.

Submitted by: Mike Krawchuk
Nov. 2, 2018

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Martin Amis
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Martin Amis
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store