Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quotation of the day for November 25, 2009

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for November 25, 2009



"When I became a father, I made a promise to myself not to pretend to knowledge I did not possess, not to claim authority I plainly lacked, not to hide my doubts and uncertainties, my setbacks and regrets, from my children. And so I have tried to share them over the years as I have been fired from screenwriting jobs or proved wrong or led to look a fool. I have made a point (until the recent advent of GPS) to stop and ask for directions. But sometimes I waver in my resolve. My sense of myself as a father, my sense of fathers, is so deeply caught up with some kind of primal longing (which I think we all share) for inerrancy, for the word of God, for a rock and a redeemer, a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, for the needle that always always finds true north in a storm."

- Michael Chabon, from the chapter "Faking It" in Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son. [and my copy does have "always always" printed in the last sentence. -ed.]

Submitted by: Mike Krawchuk
Nov. 9, 2009

Shopping through our Amazon links supports Quotation Of The Day. Find
Michael Chabon
at Amazon.ca.

Visit our Amazon.ca store
Find
Michael Chabon
at Amazon.com.

Visit our Amazon.com store