Sunday, December 25, 2011

Quotation of the day for December 25, 2011

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for December 25, 2011



"Soldati, io esco da Roma. Chi vuole continuare la guerra contro lo straniero venga con me. Non posso offrirgli né onori né stipendi; gli offro fame, sete, marcie forzate, battaglie e morte. Chi ama la patria mi segua."

["Soldiers, I am going out from Rome. Let those who wish to continue the war against the stranger, come with me. I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor provisions. I offer hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles, and death. Let him who loves his country follow me."]

- Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882), rallying his troops in Rome, on July 2, 1849. [There is some dispute about the exact wording of his speech.]

Submitted by: Mike Krawchuk
Dec. 20, 2011

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Giuseppe Garibaldi
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by doing your holiday shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Giuseppe Garibaldi
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by doing your holiday shopping at our Amazon.com store