Saturday, December 14, 2013

Quotation of the day for December 14, 2013

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for December 14, 2013



"It's that if you want to make a human being into a monster, deny them, at the cultural level, any reflection of themselves. And growing up, I felt like a monster in some ways. I didn't see myself reflected at all. I was like, "Yo, is something wrong with me?" That the whole society seems to think that people like me don't exist? And part of what inspired me, was this deep desire that before I died, I would make a couple of mirrors. That I would make some mirrors so that kids like me might seem themselves reflected back and might not feel so monstrous for it."

- Junot Diaz, writer and professor, speaking to students at Bergen Community College.

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Dec. 5, 2013

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Junot Diaz
at Amazon.ca.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.ca store
Find
Junot Diaz
at Amazon.com.

Please support qotd by shopping at our Amazon.com store