Sunday, May 16, 2010

Quotation of the day for May 16, 2010

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for May 16, 2010



"I often wanted to kill Brown, but this would not answer. A cub had to take everything his boss gave, in the way of vigorous comment and criticism; and we all believed that there was a United States law making it a penitentiary offense to strike or threaten a pilot who was on duty. However, I could IMAGINE myself killing Brown; there was no law against that; and that was the thing I used always to do the moment I was abed. Instead of going over my river in my mind as was my duty, I threw business aside for pleasure, and killed Brown. I killed Brown every night for months; not in old, stale, commonplace ways, but in new and picturesque ones;--ways that were sometimes surprising for freshness of design and ghastliness of situation and environment."

- Mark Twain, in Life on the Mississippi, Chapter 18.

Submitted by: Terry Labach
May 12, 2010

Shopping through our Amazon links supports Quotation Of The Day. Find
Mark Twain
at Amazon.ca.

Visit our Amazon.ca store
Find
Mark Twain
at Amazon.com.

Visit our Amazon.com store