Saturday, September 10, 2011

Quotation of the day for September 10, 2011

The Quotation Of The Day Mailing List

Quotation of the Day for September 10, 2011



"I'm a New Yorker, so it should come as no surprise that I think my city is the greatest city in the world. I like living in the city where so many of my favorite films take place, where nearly every street corner reminds me of some piece of lurid personal or criminal history. "Crazy Joe Gallo was shot here... Big Paul Castellano got whacked there... Used to score there... That place used to be a speakeasy ... My old methadone clinic... That used to be an after-hours club..." It may not be the most beautiful city. It's not the nicest city (though it is, sadly, getting nicer). And it's certainly not the easiest city to live in. One minute you're on top of the world, and the next--like when you wish to light up a smoke at a bar and can't--you're wallowing in misery and self-pity, unable to decide between murder and suicide. But it is exactly those famously manic highs and lows that make New York, and Manhattan in particular, like nowhere else. I mean, you can talk London or Paris or Barcelona all you like, but we're open all night: I can pick up the phone around midnight and get just about anything I want delivered to my apartment: Chinese food, Lebanese, sushi, pizza, a video, a bag of seedless hydro, a human head."

- Anthony Bourdain, from the essay My Manhattan, printed in his book The nasty bits: collected varietal cuts, useable trim, scraps and bones.

Submitted by: Terry Labach
Feb. 18, 2011

Tweet this quotation


Follow us on Twitter to see what we're reading

Visit our blog
Find
Anthony Bourdain
at Amazon.ca.

Visit our Amazon.ca store
Find
Anthony Bourdain
at Amazon.com.

Visit our Amazon.com store